Saturday, December 19, 2009

Never boring around here

It's almost midnight - and the phone just rang.

Our daughter is in labor - only several days late, but a couple of days before they would take her in and induce her. I'm too old for the excitement I think.  Another new life is coming.

I remember when this daughter was born - I was there.  I am at heart a simpleton, theologically speaking - but the day she was born, I was present for a miracle - the birth of a live child, and as far as miracles go, it is the only one I ever needed.

But I had a few other miracles that day, too - I gained an understanding of the reason recovery from a surgical (C-section) delivery seemed so tough.  I watched the doctor cut her open from hip to him, then stick his arms inside up to (it seemed) his elbows to pull out the daughter that had decided she wasn't coming out any other way.  I got to watch the very first hours of this daughter's life, and literally see her grow, change and gain strength.

Now, there's a granddaughter coming. By the time I get up in the morning, she might be here.

Of course, we are getting snow now, supposed to be continued through tomorrow evening, just to keep life interesting.  Happily, my son-in-law has a Subaru, which is good for a trip to the hospital - and since this child is number two, you might think he'd be used to it - but I'm sure he's going nuts anyhow, and will be asleep on his feet by the time we get there tomorrow. 

Merry Christmas to all.  I guess I ought to get some sleep....

But it's something good, a thing to be celebrated - a new life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.