Sunday, February 1, 2009

I should have gone to bed earlier.

Last night, that is - I stayed up nearly all night working on Arnold, and discovered this morning that while I was asleep he lost his mind. Motherboard will not allow a boot. Maybe it is time to just break down and buy a damn server and be done with it.

I hate it when things go wrong repeatedly. I thought I had it all ready, and then I tried to add in the RAID array and everything turned to poo. I did not even watch the Super Bowl for sleeping this afternoon, not that it would have made a difference in whatever the outcome would have been. I think maybe tonight I'll swap in the last motherboard and see if it turns to crap again, or if this time it actually does something useful. My patience is waning, and I need to get this server built and working to go forward with the streaming entertainment for the house.

Technology is wonderful stuff, but it has made life rather more complicated than it used to be. Before cell phones there was such a thing as privacy, and quiet time. I'm old enough to remember the time before television - radio was something that required a lot of thought and imagination - but it was actually pretty good, and my imagination was at least as good as that of many screenwriters in the early days of TeeVee. Then there were the obligatory trips on Saturday to the movies, the weekly serial (Sky King, Tarzan, RocketMan and others) that always ended in a cliffhanger to suck you into coming back the next weekend. Several of us from the neighborhood, aged 5 to 8, would get on a bus each Saturday, armed with the price of admission, bus fare, and a soda, and go to the matinee to get our weekly fix. We went by ourselves, rode a bus for 20 minutes, went to the theater alone and returned alone, and nobody ever worried about us because it was safe for kids our age to do those things.

Times must have changed a lot.

What has this got to do with Arnold, the recalcitrant server? Damfino - I think I'm rambling.

Now, it's time to go downstairs and have at Arnold some more, and see whether he gets turned on or turned into a target for my pistol....

Be well, y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.