Sunday, November 8, 2009

Honor

Apparently there's a lot about being a Muslim that I don't understand.

In Arizona, a father used his Jeep to run over his own daughter and the mother of her American boy friend. His daughter was comatose for several days before dying. The murderer fled the country. So much for honor - an honorable man would not have killed his own child and then run, but stayed and stood for his principles.

Her sin that called the family honor into question consisted of deciding to marry whom she pleased, to get a college education, and make use of social networking used by most Americans in that age range - in other words, become too westernized.

Children are neither property nor are they pets, to be killed out of hand at the whim of a parent (unless, of course, they are not yet born...) and that one who comes here from another land has done so little of the homework as to believe that such an action is proper simply boggles my mind.

Apparently, however, the Powers that Be have decided that it necessary that we softpedal this behavior in order to avoid causing offense to folks who by their very behavior are not civilized, and are not therefore owed any special consideration.

From the reading I have done over the years, this sort of behavior is not something that the Prophet would have either encouraged or applauded - it is the mullahs that have encouraged this sort of barbarious behavior.

Now, if folks that live in Iraq want to behave this way, it is not necessarily any of my concern - they find it OK, and we are not required to take such action if we live among them, nor are we required to approve. We are, however, required not to interfere if such actions are in accordance with the law of the land in that part of the world.

Normally, Americans are a pretty tolerant bunch. We don't however allow such actions to be taken as a matter of law.

As a father, I can state without fear that many of the things my children have done would not have had my approval had they asked, and some might well have embarrassed me, but none dishonored me - the reflection is upon the adult doing the deed. I don't believe in collective guilt, and at some point my children stand or fall on their own. If they ask for my opinion, they get it and if they ask for my help in an endeavor that is not dishonorable they'll get all that I can give.

But once a child is an adult, there is no more that I can do - they then have their own identity.

I wonder - had that child been a son, would that so-called man felt free enough to kill him, or are sons more valuable? I think I know the answer, and it pleases me not one damn bit, because it does even more to devalue women.

At some point a stand must be taken, and such people must be held accountable - and folks who would join us here in this great nation have to understand the rule of law - and understand that such behavior is intolerable in a free nation.

I sincerely hope that that barbarian father is caught and returned to face the justice he has denied his own daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.