Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Zero dark thirty

When I was in the Air Force, that was the time we had to get up for certain shifts, and I always hated being up before the sun. For many years I have worked 10 to 6, 11 to 7 or similar hours during the day, giving me plenty of time to wake up in the light, have breakfast with my wife, have some extra coffee, and arrive at work reasonably awake.  It even gave the folks around me time to determine which problems were theirs, so I could start right away on real problems, and not misoperations.

Well, I just changed to work 7 to 3 - and I hate getting up around 5 AM. Maybe I can change it back in a couple of months.  I hope so.

It's cold around here right now - global warming seems to have gone into hibernation.  I thought all along it was crap, and some purloined emails (and the fact that the global temperature has been static for almost ten years) only served to underline that belief.

But it is even too cold to think about starting the motorcycles, let alone riding one of them for more than about three minutes, and it is my personal rule (be kind to engines or some such bull) that I never start one up if I am not going to ride it for at least 20 minutes.  Usually I ride to work when I can, but not when it asks for frostbite before even getting on the highway.  We did have one day the weekend before Christmas that it was really nice, and I rode over to visit our then-pregnant daughter, and really enjoyed the ride - it was cool, but not really cold.

I gotta write some emails - I owe one to a friend in Germany, and a couple more.  Maybe I'll do that tomorrow as soon as I get to work; right now I gotta get some sleep - 0 darh 30 approaches!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.