Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Friday the 13th came today....

On the offhand chance most of you aren't old enough to remember Pogo, a comic strip, the title comes from a favorite statement of Pogo Possum - 'Friday the 13th came on Tuesday this week.'

This started as a pretty good day - light traffic on the way in, not too much grief waiting - at least not until I booted my PC and tried to log onto the network.

In a word, it did not happen - the blasted thing would not boot, and gave me a BS message about how something needed was not there.  Well, of course, nobody had a boot CD, nobody had a boot floppy, nobody had a release CD, so I was reduced to removing the drive and putting it into a PC that I own, to see if I could find what was missing.  I could and I did, and then I moved the drive back to where it belonged.

No joy - I changed the BS message to another BS message, but the (muttered imprecations) thing steadfastly refused to boot.

I have a release CD.  Of course, I have it at home, and it is my personal CD, not something I want all over work, so I did not have it with me.

Eventually, someone came up with a bunch of CD's designed to do everything but eat (which is a pun on a very old IBM Utility named DEBE which was later renamed DITTO....) including a current release CD, but nothing did what was needed.

So I moved everything over to a Win/7 machine that belongs to me - at least I hope I did.  hen I remembered that a whole bunch of automated stuff runs from that desktop that was dead, so I had to create auto slots for each one (that I could remember) in the new machine.  I guess tomorrow I'll get some idea of whether I fixed some or broke more. Also, if I am blessed, tomorrow I'll remember to bring my own personal recovery disk and get the other machine working again mebbe.

Now it is time to go home, and I have not one new thing to show for the day.  I guess it could be worse.

Tomorrow looks like it will be a good day for the motorcycle - looking forward to that!

Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.