Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving Day, later

I have a lot for which I am thankful.  Sometimes I need to be reminded.

I am thankful for having reached my present age in relatively decent shape.

I am thankful for my wife of over 45 years, who is a patient and loving lady.

I am thankful for my children, who have found their own way in the world.

I am thankful for my grandkids, who make me proud and make me laugh.

I am thankful for my large extended family of cousins, with whom we have stayed in touch lo these many years, and for all our differences still like being with one another.

I am thankful for my siblings, although we are seldom together, when we are together it seems like just yesterday when we last met and talked.  That having been said, I wish one brother was closer than where he is - but I also know that I don't get to make choices other than my own - and their choices obviously worked well for them.

I am thankful for old friends and for people I have known for many years who still put up with me.

But there's more to it than just what appears above.

I am thankful for my son's having found something that he enjoys, something that he really loves doing, and for success in having fun at work.

I am thankful for mended families - my daughter who is married and has a child who is my grandson.  I am thankful for a son-in-law who has found his way, and together with this daughter have made a family unit that is sound, happy, functional and meaningful. All three of them make me proud and happy to have them as family members.

I am thankful for my other daughter's family - her husband and her two children, who serve to remind me that kids are wonderful, that growing up is not always easy, and that there is no end to surprises that grandkids can supply, nor to joys that come from just watching them grow.

Phyllis and I spent yesterday with the newly mended family, and today that family will join the other daughter's family in a second thanksgiving.  It may be a bit sappy of me to say this, but I dearly love all of them, and I am certain that there are days when I don't deserve them - but it is good to be with them, to see that all of us love one another, and that while imperfect we are all intrinsically good.

Most of all, I am thankful to have lived to see the day that I can say what I said above, and mean every word sincerely and with love in my heart.

God bless us, every one.


1 comment:

  1. What a great post, Bob. As usual. I find special pride in being associated with my big brother.

    ReplyDelete

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.