Friday, November 8, 2013

Friday, the 8th. It only FEELS like the 13th.

My desktop PC at work is still hosed.  Oracle won't work on it.  That means that the 24 or so automated processes that run every day haven't run since Wednesday. Maybe it is time to move them downstairs to a PC in the data center / server farm room.  I guess I ought to do that before I piss away another day trying to fix this POS outdated PC that I am stuck with....

Normally, Friday when it isnot raining would be a motorcycle day - but when I went outside this morning it was pretty chilly,and I decided t drive the old Volvo instead.  I would rather ride, but riding cold isn't much fun, and at my age, I don't need to do things that aren't fun when they are supposed to be fun.  Sunday, there's a Breakfast ride with the Ramblers that I plan on riding - hope it doesn't get colder before that.

I do plan to ride some more before it gets too cold.  Years ago, I rode all winter, but I was younger then, and had a snowmobile suit that (mostly) kept me warmer than necessary.  Maybe I should get another one - we'll have to see about that.

Anyhow, I think I will move all the automated stuff downstairs, and then get the miscellaneous pickups and sendings caught up -  then I can spend the rest of the day doing something else - like trying to make this XP POS on my desk actually talk to Oracle.

I just bought another KVM switch (powered) to replace the unpowered one I bought a while back that has gone all flakey on me.  Brought it in and discovered I had mismatched video connectors, so I ordered the needed gender menders.  They arrived yesterday.

Today I came in, hooked it all up anticipating great results, no more lost mouses - and what I got was no display - the monitor switching stuff does not work. Damn damn DAMN!  I knew everything was going too well.  Now I gotta go back to the vendor, and am still stuck with a flakey KVM switch.  I should have known it wasn't too late for something else to turn to poop for me.

Well, now I have to go downstairs and get these auto-scheduled things to run again, and get all the back stuff caught up, or I'll have a double shift facing me on Monday.

I plan this weekend to pull down everything Greywolf has ever written and store it on the Big Server.  His RosFic is too good for it to be hidden away. It will be a PITA - some of his stuff is pretty large, but I need to do it for myself and for posterity.

I'm going downstairs to curse at hardware.  Have a great rest-of-the-day, y'all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.