Thursday, January 8, 2009

Back to work

I was off from the day before Christmas through Monday.  By off, I mean not obligated to go to work - some folks will tell you I'm off all the time, but they're just being unkind.  At least that's what I think.  Anyhow, I made it in Monday, and forgot that the boss was still off, so there wasn't much on Monday to elevate my blood pressure, and it wasn't a bad day as days go except, of course, for the weather that was so bad it could not even be said to suck. 

I finally had a good day last week, and got the motorcycle out to get the last little bit of fixing done.  At least that's what I told myself - the truth is I really wanted a reason to ride, and I really did enjoy getting out to ride.  After I got back in the evening I dropped an email on one of my riding pals, and was more than a but chagrined to learn that he had spent part of his holidays having a pacemaker/defibrillator implanted in his chest.  He's at least 6 years younger than I am, and has already had cardiac surgery many years back.  Getting old sucks.  But by the spring I'll bet he's ready to ride again.  Meanwhile, maybe I can talk him into an afternoon of music making....

I need to get some more weight off - at least another 100 pounds, although another 20 would take care of the 18 I have gained back and then some, and make me feel good.  I'm really pretty grumpy right now, and people at work are starting to avoid me.  I'm antisocial enough that this is good to a point, but when folks tremble and walk sideways against a wall to get past me I begin to wonder if I'm not just a little bit more incendiary than I need to be.  

Maybe I just need to spend a day with my daughter and let her baby drool all over me and giggle at me a while.  That'd be cheaper than a weekend away at a gambling resort or somewhere like that.   Of course I could always take a train to Chicago for a day - the overnight trip there is really great, a day wandering wouldn't be bad, and the overnight train back is wonderful - and nobody would do anything to disturb me at all during the whole trip.  Now all I need is a business reason for it....

I've been finding classmates and other friends on FaceBook.  Everyone should get a FaceBook page! Some of what's there, like what's on YouTube, is reprehensible - but some of it is pretty good, and even the ads can be useful.  I probably spend more time at this than I should, but sooner or later it'll get old and then I'll be more productive until the next thing comes along.

I found a ShoutCast station that plays nothing but The Blues Brothers.  They did some stuff I never heard and it's pretty good.  There are a couple that specialize in solo piano, and it really is nice.  I have to introduce my wife to this - maybe for some good music she'll touch a computer - particularly if I buy one for her, maybe....

I think I've had all the fun I should have on any one day, and it is pushing 6 PM pretty hard, so I will clean up here (or at least hide most of the crap in desk drawers) and head for home.  Y'all be good, y'hear?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.