Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Cheer up, self!

Well, color me a little less displeased with myself, and add a shade of feeling silly. I finally got around to starting the build on the big server in the basement - and realized that I hadn't even remembered its name properly - in my last post I called it Arnold, when in reality its name is Alfred. I think it knows, and hates me for it.

The first Home Server install stalled on me - I didn't have the RAID array properly done, and got an hour into the install and the damn computer stalled and refused to do anything except sit there and grin at me. Well, I couldn't stand for that, so I cleaned it off, got the RAID array properly configured and and restarted the installation cold. It got going, and I walked away from it, secure in the knowledge that it will either go on properly, or I'll go downstairs before I go to bed and have yet another reason to hate MicroSoft and its software.

But I did look at the other 3 machines down there, started up the two that are not run normally and they seem healthy, or at least the hardware does. One of them has a nice DVD writer with LightScribe that I will transfer into the IBM machine I got last year and haven't used yet - may get to that by the weekend.

I'd love it if we got a hard freeze - it would keep me home (I brought my laptop home tonight just against that eventuality,) so I could work tomorrow here if I had to, rather than go out in the old Volvo and play on the ice. I don't mind a couple inches of snow, but ice on the roads gives me the crawls.

By the weekend I should have the server built, the new mail services running on it, the 2 terabyte shared storage array usable throughout the house and be ready to start on phase 2 - starting up the IBM super workstation that I got for me, getting the DVD writer installed and maybe even getting the three older machines shut down, cleaned off and ready for disposal. That'd please my wife a whole lot. She's a real dear about my slowness to do stuff, but she does have a limit, and I really don't want to know where it is.

I started working with the beta version of Clarion 7, which is the development tool I use to do most of my programming, and it is a major change for me, but I like what I see so far. I also have to get going with Clarion# (I bought that for me - 7 is for the office) and within the coming weeks may actually make some progress there, if folks at work don't break a bunch of stuff in the meanwhile. I need to upgrade my high school class database and put it on the new web server as soon as I can get to it, hopefully before the next reunion (which will be the 50th - the thought of which makes me feel old!)

Speaking of which - I am looking forward to the 50th and I have our 41st anniversary coming up - believe it or not, one woman has put up with me for 41 years and is still here! It can be done.

Well, I have to go downstairs and check on Alfred - see if he's still being built or if he's choked again. Tomorrow is Wednesday - choir rehearsal if the weather cooperates, or a day working at home if the weather decides to be horrid. Of course, I won't know which it is until after I am awake and walking around tomorrow with no chance just to go back to bed. There's just no justice....

Have a great day, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.