Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sunday, January 4

Getting up this morning was really not easy.  Getting up almost two hours earlier than I would have on most Sundays was even harder.  Somewhere along the line I agreed in a weak moment to be music at our 9:30 church service.  Normally I am a choir member for the 11:00 service and,  while I have been known to be a soloist it is not usual for me to get up early just to do that.  The particular piece for this morning is one in which I had a solo over part of it, but there was a choir part where I would normally have sung the tenor part, and I had to read the melody line instead, so I had something to learn quickly before the service started.  Phyllis had played it for me the previous day and then we went off to see the bull riders.

In any event, the music went well, everyone was complimentary (although I don't think anyone would be otherwise, just because) and after the second service I went home and died, sleeping through what ought to have been dinner.  It seems two nights downtown watching bull riders extracts a big toll on old fat guys - and my old arse was just worn out.  

Then this evening we had a reception at church for two members who are leaving the area, and I have to say that they will be missed.  Employment does strange things to people - this couple had come to us before and after a while was sent to Australia for a year on business, after which they came back and went to California for a while and returned to this area.  Now, business acquisitions and the need for employment have them moving to Birmingham, Alabama in order to be employed.  Frankly, I don't recall having had someone leave before that had such an effect on me - already I miss both of them.  I must be getting maudlin in my old age.

Tomorrow I have to go back to work.  Pardon me for lacking enthusiasm - the past ten days have been welcome down time - and, unfortunately, the few things I did intend to do did not get done. I need another week....

Be well, y'all -I gotta get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.