Thursday, October 10, 2013

It is now Thursday. Imagine that.

Got up this morning not quite so stiff - apparently I am slowly recovering the ability to get over things quickly. If that sounds contradictory, it may be.

Late last night, before going to bed I started a process to get some results this morning for a consultant on a project for my top boss, the Police Commissioner.  The consultant and I have worked for some time with this data, and I have so far managed to get him almost anything he might ask for - but it hasn't alwways been easy.
When I left the office last night, a database was building that would have the latest subset data for the project.  I had thought the one I did the day before would be the last, but I figured out how to get a little more info that will shortcut a lot of effort on the consultant's part, so I asked him if he wanted it, and he did - hence the rebuild of the primary database.

Well, last night I logged in remotely to start a process that would strip the data down to manageable size files for him, secure in the knowledge that it would run about 6 hours and when I arrived everything would be ready to send to him.  Well, that is how it should have happened.  hat actually happened was that part way through the run, Microsoft decided my desktop needed patched, so it downloaded the patches, applied them and booted to box, leaving my process partway finished.  I fear I said a bunch of things better not said in polite society (not that cops are all that polite) and immediately restarted the process.  With luck it will finish before noon and I can get the info out to the man who needs it. I truly wish Micro$oft would let me d3ecide how to do some things....

It is raining, so having the Guzzi down doesn't really distress me.  I have to get a battery ordered today so it will maybe arrive by Saturday so I can have the bike ready for work on Monday.  I had planned a ride with the club on Saturday that would have taken a lot of the day - but the weather folks assure me it will rain all day - and I am no longer excited by riding in the rain.

I have to think of a name for the Guzzi - anyone have any thoughts?  The Suzuki is called "Big Suzi' because it is so big - what should I call the Moto Guzzi?  It is definitely Italian and definitely female and if I knew the name of the girl in the Fiat commercial who is so delicious I would name the bike after her, but I don't know her name.  Somehow "Phyllis" doesn't seem to match the character, and "Susan" would not feel honored if I used her name as she has never liked motorcycles, particularly when they were mine....

Someone come up with a name - if I use it, I'll give screen credit.

Otherwise, not a whole lot new.  I'll be in Las Vegas from 10/25 through 10/28, for the wedding of Sally and Fred (Sally is a first cousin once removed - there are lots of cousins on my mother's side of the family as she was one of six, one of whch had six, one of which had four - Sal is one of those 4) and to meet with a bunch of other cousins that I don't see as often as I wish because they all moved to the left coast, although when they speak, Pittsburgh is still detectable....

I'm looking forward some to the trip - the last time I was in Las Vegas was in July of 1973, when Jamie was born in California. In addition to my beloved cousins, I look forward to meeting for real someone whom I have 'known' from the world of RosFic for some time, so it should be a fun trip, and I should be busy enough to avoid gambling and/or drinking except for the obligatory glass of champagne at the wedding.

I had hoped to take Phyllis with me on this trip, but it was not to be - church jobs make weekends pretty hard to use for personal things. That morning, our friend Jack will be holding down the tenor section in the choir in my absence, and I do appreciate that.

Meanwhile, the phone is ringing, one of our guys is just back from Ireland, and I have to at least appear to be doing some work, so I'll close this one out.  Be well, y'all....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.