Friday, October 18, 2013

Second chances, redux

Well, last night a bunch of us got together for dinner, to meet again with my daughter's new husband, whom we have not seen for many years, and to watch his son be surprised because his dad joined us at dinner and he was not expected home much before Christmas.

Both daughters were there with their kids.  This can be pretty exciting because the youngest's two (almost four and more than 5) are bright, vocal, active kids, and tend to end up being the stellar attraction, however, last night they seemed to sense that not only was this a Big Deal, but it was a Big Deal for their older cousin and made sure to greet the new Uncle as family and not as some interloper who just showed up out of nowhere.

My wife and I had concerns about the evening - we have not seen the new son-in-law for more than just a couple of years and, understanding some things that had been said and some that had been thought over the years, the potential was there for a heated emotional disaster - but it did not even stick its head in the room - we met a gentleman, an intrinsically good man who had spent much of his life in places that weren't really that good either for him or anyone else.  He has used his time away well, taking coursework and other opportunities to better his understanding of why some things are as they are and how to handle those things and turn them to his advantage. It was a great evening for all of us, and we look forward to more of them.

My daughter is of course over the moon, and her son likewise - they can look at him, talk to him, and not worry what machinations of fate are going to get him moved, segregated or otherwise barred from being around those who love him. It's a win for all of us.

I know he had his concerns - he knows all too well that there have been times he was not one of my favorite people - but he's not the man I didn't like, not any more - he has turned into a guy that I can respect, someone who has shown that he can handle adversity and learn from it,  that past behaviors do not rule forever, and that he is capable of growing, learning, and becoming a greater person.

I am feeling pretty positive now - I think this is a positive thing for all of us, not just for the daughter and her son - and that there will finally be healing for all of us.

It is a shame that his mother did not live to see this day.

But the rest of us did live to see it - and it looks better than any of us had a right to anticipate.  I'm suddenly sleeping really well.

On another topic - my surgeon tells me I can't have coffee.  Growlgrumbleandbitch! I asked him why, and he told me that  the ulcer that did not perforate was the worst one he has ever seen, and he's seen a few.  Until I get scoped again, no coffee, and maybe not then.  I wish I wan't asymptomatic regarding the ulcers themselves - seems to me anything that ugly ought to cause me pain, and they don't, not just being there - and at my age, I don't guess it will change a whole lot, so I have to pay attention and do what he wants, just so I don't get to see him again late one night....

Orthopod visit Monday morning, new glasses Tuesday - everything is moving along.  My knees are lousy, but they've been lousy for a while and as long as I ignore them it is bearable.  Getting up off the floor, however, is a real exercise in funny-looking.  I am stillnot as strong as I want to be, but the Guzzi is at least keeping me grinning riding it.

Well, I gotta call my wife and see what she wants to do about dinner,then go into the garage, start the  Guzzi and head for home, grinning all the way...

Y'all be well, y'hear?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.