Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Keys

I hate keys.

I'm no longer as young as I once was (nor, for that matter, dear reader, are you...) and I have too many keys. The house has two keys, one for each door, my Volvo has keys, my wife's Kia has keys, my daughter's Jeep has keys, my motorcycles have keys (The Kawasaki has two; the Honda has five!), and all in all if I have all the keys I might need on a given day there are many - and adding to the count of keys are the clickers for the remote door locks on my Volvo and on the Jeep (the Kia is bereft, although it cost plenty!)

Anyhow, I keep the keys to one motorcycle on a separate ring that clips on and off the ring that has everything else - and about a year ago I somehow lost the everything else part, including the clickers for the car doors. I did get home that night as I could still find the motorcycle keys, but I had to wait outside, sitting on the back porch all forlorn because my house keys went away with all the other keys.

So as soon as I got inside, I grabbed the spare set of everything-but-the-cruiser keys, thinking "Gee, I hve to get these duplicated sometime soon."

About two weeks ago, I lost everything but the cruiser keys while out riding the cruiser. I didn't realize it until I got home from a 100 mile ride. Now I had to get new keys made.

House keys were easy and cheap.

Kia keys were easy and not too expensive - maybe $42 or so for two of them.

Volvo keys, on the other hand, were more than $40 each and I had to wait three days for them - and that didn't include the door clicker. Happily the weather was good while I waited for Volvo keys, and I didn't need to use the car - the weather was great for riding, so ride I did.

I didn't bother with a Jeep key since there is still an extra for that and I don't drive it.

So finally I have all my keys and things are working and I decided that the Volvo needed a clicker for the doors. So far I have bought three off eBay - and failed miserably at getting them to work. You never know just how nice it is not to have to find a keyhold and insert something and turn it when you've had a little white button for so long that would do it all for you.

What I'd REALLY like is a clicker that could be taught to manage every lock I need to use. It would remove a pound or so from my pockets. It would be even better if it could be surgically implanted in my left wrist so I couldn't lose it.

Maybe next year....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.