Friday, December 19, 2008

Commute rant redux

I have often been given cause to wonder if there is a special course  that is required of folks before buying a big Lexus SUV.  That course being, of course, behavior appropriate to assholes.  

I watched one this morning on my commute to work that about made me want to stop the vehicle and do grave harm to it - harm enough to turn it into a modern art stationary exhibit.

The driver rolled through a stop sign in front of me at some velocity in excess of the limit, about clipping my right front fender, then proceeded to run down the right lane for half a mile and cut in front of someone where the lane ran out, forcing three vehicles nearly to telescope whilst this person had space made - all this without a sign of a signal.  Even BMW SUV pilots are more thoughtful than this jerk was - but he seems to be typical of Lexus owners - particularly the large Lexus trucklets with a big chrome V8 on the back hatch.  Whenever I see one of these things, I wonder where is the cop?  I know cops don't make enough to own such a behemoth, so I know it's not a cop on a day off - but I really do wonder how someone can be so oblivious as to believe that nobody else out there has any right to safety.

Big Ford and Lincoln SUV pilots are not even as bad as Lexus folks, although they do come close - I watched the Lexus try to intimidate a Lincoln Navigator, and we nearly had bent sheet metal before the Navigator gave way, aolthough the Navigator pilot lost his cool enough that a number of obscene gestures were directed at the Lexus - not that the Lexus inhabitant took any notice.

Later on this morning before I arrived I had a BMW SUV come up a right on-ramp, and I carefully left space for him to move over - something he did not do.  Instead of taking the space I offered, he rushed past the four foolks in front of me and bulled his way into a line where there was no space when the ramp merged.  I always try to leave space for at least one person to merge, believing (perhaps naively) that it smooths the flow of traffic and helps heep everyone's blood pressure lower.  Am I really naive, or just being ignored by my betters?  Inquiring minds, etc....

I did eventually get to work without heightened blood pressure (something I arrange by heavy use of the AMESLAN asshole sign which makes me grin whenever I see such atavistic roadway behavior) and without any foreign paint on my old Volvo.  I sure wish I was important enough to behave like that, but I'm not capable of ignoring everything around me in order to endanger myself and anyone else on the road anywhere near to where I am.

What am I not understanding?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.