Monday, December 22, 2008

Three more days...

Three more days until Christmas.  I think I'm allowed to say Christmas here - with all the PC BS flowing about these days, one is never certain. I have done part of my shopping, on-line of course, and have a bit left that must be done by standing in line, one of my least favorite pastimes.

I made coffee and looked outside at the thermometer and decided that being up was a mistake, but I can't do anything about it now since I am already up.  I forgot that my grandson is on holiday from his school, and started to wake him up, which earned me a bit of disapproval from is grandmother, who has Ronnie Duty all day today and really wanted to be asleep for a while.  Happily I had no luck at all getting him to awaken, so they're both sleeping the sleep of the just right now, while I am blathering on about Monday Morning.  Had I realized that he was already on holiday, I could have slept another 40 minutes this morning.  Oh well, as my cousin used to say in her own shorthand, "If dog rabbit."  If you wonder, when expanded that came out as "If  the DOG had not stopped to poop he might have caught the RABBIT."  I guess you had to be there.

I have mixed feelings about the Auto Bailout.  I wonder if it is not time to let something die, and let some lessons be learned.  The terms of the bailout include the stipulation that certain things must be done or a repayment of all funds falls due - and one is prompted to wonder just howthehell they are going to give back funds spent when they're broke?  I wish I could shed a tear for those fools that showed up for a handout in their corporate jets, but I find it hard to feel ufor someone so removed from reality.  I who have never had an executive jet at my beck and call cannot imagine being able simply to fly and let the accountants worry about the costs, particularly since I am my own accountant, about to start working on my own taxes for yet another year.

Right now I feel some sympathy for Barack and Joe, incoming president and VP respectively.  I saw a number of ads over the past few days indicating that they are all poised and ready to hit the ground running and Do Great Things in a few weeks, and wonder at their naivete, considering that Congress is like a train - it isn't moved or guided easily, and almost everything that they want to do will have to pass thru that august body, composed largely of folks who are dedicated primarily to the perpetuation of their own existance.

There's also a stirring in the local news from folks that want the Electoral College abolished in favor of a popular vote.  We've already done that with the Senate (originally its membership was decided by the legislatures of the states being represented - the House was there for all the people, the Senate intendd to look out for the interests of the States) and I remain convinced that it was a Dmb Thing to do, since we already had a popularly elected representing body.  The idea of a purely popular vote ought to terrify any minority because a purely popular vote would make it possible to legislate them to a state of subservience.  Of course, no thinking voter would allow such a thing - but all too many ought not to be accused of thinking, I fear.  Probably I should include myself sometimes in that category, since everyone has braindead days - but some folks seem to live that way.

But I promised myself I would try to stay apolitical today.

One of my coworkers lost her husband over the weekend, in a hit and run "accident" - which will I am certain cast a pall on the holidays for her and her three children.  Hit and run is something that ought to be classified as a hate crime, particularly when a fatality is the result. Nobody who is younger than I am plans on being dead, particularly not in such a meaningless manner - and life for her and her family is about to change forever.  I count myself fortunate any day I can wake up, look up and not see the roots of some grass.  

I just looked up at the clock and discovered that since I have to go to work today I must go and finish dressing, grab the computer that travels with me and head for the office.  I'd like to stay here today; there's more than enough to do around here, but certain unfortunate addictions (food, housing, toys [computers, motorcycles]) drive me to continued employment.

Happy Monday, y'all.

2 comments:

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.