Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I.T. and the Peter Principle

If there is someone reading this who doesn't "get" the Peter Principle reference, the short form is In an organization, supervisors will rise to the level of  incompetence.  

Any place with an IT organization whose IT folks are not too paranoid to speak of it will tell you that this is always the case with IT folks - they people that run them are not IT-savvy, don't want to learn, and generally just want what they want when they want it.  The messenger who brings a no will be fortunate if that does not occasion an opportunity to work elsewhere, regardless of the practicality, feasibility or possibility of the unreasonable demand.  If the boss is paranoid or tends to micromanagement it gets even more painful.

I spent the morning in a meeting, mostly watching someone draw on a whiteboard.  I had to explain a thing or two, which I did - several times, using different words each time.  I was directed to telephone someone to ask something after discovering that there was a problem, it wasn't ours, and they were working on it.  When asked to telephone this person, which I knew to be working on the problem we had discovered, I expressed a reluctance to interrupt - the problem would need fixed before the person could begin to work on what I was asked to pursue, and it struck me as counterproductive to interrupt progress with something that would only cause mental overhead for this person, possibly keeping something broke for longer than necessary.  This was not an answer that anyone wanted to hear, so I ended up taking time to phone someone who was busy, thereby keeping two people from useful work - but that was what everyone seemed to think was needed.

I think I need to pull the plug and get out of here for a while, go to choir rehearsal, and spend several hours not thinking about what I do for a living - maybe even start up a motorcycle and see how long it takes to get numb riding in 40 degree weather....

Sorry, I'm frustrated and irritable. 

I'm certain that everyone has a similar tale.  If you happen to be everyone, let me know what your tales is - comments are open.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.