Friday, December 5, 2008

End of the Week - Again

 is almost time to go home again for a couple of days.  This has been a week - spent a lot of time with photos (visit http://picasaweb.google.com/rar1942g if you are curious) and more time with little computers.  Some of it paid off - I finally got my little tablet PC working, although I haven't yet got the little ToughBook to talk to me - it might have to be relegated to doorstop duty.

Jamie and I haven't connected - I put Skype on a bunch of computers at home, and brought one with me today just so I could watch and see if he came online.  Of course, if he did it was while I was in the john...

Skype has turned into a pretty nifty tool/toy - the basic form is free, but allows for video (I just have to find someone besides my son to test it with...) calls, conferencing, chats, and all kinds of other stuff - and even seems to work pretty well.  If you call all over, and are looking to spend less money, Skype could do it for you - provided you have a computer and reasonably fast InterNet (which you can get at any internet cafe that's wireles)  and the folks you wish to call have computers and reasonably fast connections, you can talk 24/7 and not spend any more than the computer uses in electricity.  If you don't mind paying a little, you can even call cell phones and landline phones with it - but the free part with the video is quite enoough excitement for me, thank you.

I know - I'll set Jessica up with it tonight, and we can videoconference between the kitchen and the living room.  Of course she'll hve to hide under a blanket or I'll hear her without the computer - but it should be fun - and maybe even useful when someone is downstairs....

Come to think of it, it might work really well with that Media Center PC I have in the living room feeding the big HD set.  Maybe tomorrow, unless I get called to work.  There's a major power change tomorrow, and something is bound to get hosed up.  I was going to come in and just work on some stuff I have to do, until I realized hat the power outage was in the server farm - and without servers all I can do is sit around and grumble.  

And of course Christmas is in just over 2 weeks and I am as usual unprepared - don't have a clue about what to get anyone.  Maybe I ought to go shopping this weekend, except that I hate shopping and I hate crowds - and crowded shopping leaves me needing a drink after about seven minutes.   If I am doing it online again, I have to get about it.  How does the time get away?

The bosslady stopped by late yesterday and asked if I would work another 20 years - and she knows how old I am since she's only 4 years younger.  Her reasoning was that money was so worthless nowadays hat we'd have to work until we died.  I told her that wne I died it would be my kids' problem to get me planted, and she doesn't have any, and her damn dogs are all too old to be of much use.  Shortly thereafter I went home and pondered it all a bit, wondering what it was all supposed to mean....  Does it mean I'm safe for 20 years?  Does it mean I will get her dogs?  Inquiring minds etc.... 

Got a couple of new cute pictures - I'll have to set up a separate area for the latest bits of foolishness so I can share them with all comers - some are really finny, some truly outrageous, and some just make you want to look twice and say "huh?" once.

I gotta go home - I've had all the fun they permit today.

Be well, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.