Saturday, December 6, 2008

Motorcycle Vandalism, redux

Way back in October I babbled on about an incident in the garage where I work involving my motorcycle and a guy parked in my parking place, said guy finding himself blocked into that place. Rather than do what was required to find me, he muscled the steering until the lock was buggered. then left the motorcycle in front of another car.

It is all on video, and when it became apparent he was not going to be nice about it, I just filed a comprehensive insurance claim and had the report of his deliberate destruction of my property go on to Internal Investigations.

IID determined that since I had filed a claim with my insurance, it became a civil matter and did not merit any more investigation on the criminal matter of the deliberate and malicious destruction of my property. This irritated me greatly because it gave the guy a free pass on what ought to have been treated as a crime. I was advised to let it go and let the insurance companies wrangle.

Today I got a note from my insurance advising me that this guy was uninsured.

I was flabbergasted - Maryland is particularly crappy about insurance being required, and can make it really expensive if you don't play by the rules. Add to that the fact that the other guy was driving $85,000 worth of BMW, it boggles the mind to imagine that such a vehicle would be allowed out of the garage uninsured - not to mention that, lacking insurance, the vehicle was not legally tagged and should never have been on the road.

This guy is a cop - he ought to know better.

So Monday my boss will go back to IID and ask that the incident be reevaluated. I'm thinking that it is no wonder they guy was uncooperative, and that he has to have oatmeal for brains or a hidden limitles source of dollars, to be driving around an automobile so expensive without coverage.

I'm thinking that the local newspaper might love to know about this, but I'll wait a while before pursuing that venue. Meanwhile, though, once again I am irritated.

Oh yes, and along with that letter was one from my other insurance company telling me that they are still working to try and get my deductible back after a parking lot incident last February!! Apparently the Hartford Group doesn't like to play nice. AARP keeps telling me that they have insurance at a cost benefit to me - but it is Hartford, and somehow based on this experience I don't think I want to deal with that group under any circumstances.

I'm too old for this crap!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.