Saturday, September 7, 2013

Motorcycles

After the most recent fall, I am starting to believe that my beloved Big Suzi is just too big for someone my age to manage.  It goes a little over 800 pounds and is getting harder to pick up.

At first, I thought about a sidecar rig - I don't want a trike, particularly - and Bombardier wants too much money for their reversed trikes and they are too new for there to be a used market.  So a sidecar, maybe.  I started looking for them, and found not many.

Then I thought well, something that weighed only 575-600 might be better enough that I wouldn't need the extra wheel(s) and I started looking at BMW's (again.)  I have always been partial  to the BMW twins, and the newer 4-cylinders are looking pretty good, so I'm shopping now.  I am shopping used, of course - new bikes cost as much as new cars, and I don't buy new cars (although my wife does.)  Maybe there's a BMW twin in my future?

I am sufficiently perverse that a good sidecar rig would be a blast, and I could use it in the winter, but I don't know if I can find one that is suitable - a couple got past me a few weeks ago, but they are still pretty rare. The rigs I have seen that I have wanted are hard-core - refitted with link front ends and shod with automobile tires on all three corners - that would be the way to go, but the owners all seem to have been the builders so they know how much it cost to make and don't want to lose a dime on the whole transaction.  Really great rigs seem to have really large prices.

Just have to wait and see, I guess.  I'll keep y'all posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.