Friday, September 27, 2013

TGIF Day

It has been an interesting day.

I got my beloved Volvo back after a radiator transplant - and it didn't cost (quite) a kilobuck.  It is one miserable job, what with all the shrouding, the air-to-air intercooler for the turbo, the air conditioning plumbing and (for all I know) the miniature septic tank which must be removed before the radiator can be seen, let alone removed.  And, of course, because of aluminum in various things, normal coolant can't be used, it must be a special blend.

I'm really glad I don't do this stuff any more - it would have taken me a couple of days, busted fingers, and all kinds of other marks, bruises and cuts and it would not have been done as well.  Of course, I would have had to go parts-hustling instead of picking up a phone. It's good to have folks you know that do these things....

I ended up winning the bid on that Moto Guzzi V-11E I had been looking at, and spent this morning securing shipping for it.  It will be delivered to me at home on Tuesday Evening of next week - good timing,for all of me.  I got a shipper through uShip (see shipping wars on TeeVee) and found the process interesting, and the way it integrates with eBay and eBay's PayPal really fascinating.  It took only a couple of hours to secure a deal that I thought was worth the cost, would happen as soon as I could get it (new toys, don't you know....) and at times that were good both for me and the previous owner of the bike.

The way eBay and uShip work online is interesting - the software is pretty intuitive, the explains are good, and the phone help is really great.  I was able to establish an account, communicate with several shippers (some of whom have a really significant history with uShip) come to a point where I had everything that suited me, and then  stop dealing with it because all I have to do is receive the bike Tuesday evening, and then tell uShip to pay the guy - and he'll get his money from my PayPal account! This all happens seamlessly through the magic of theInterNet.

Other than that, I got to redo some work with some data a consultant is using and in the process of filtering the output found a couple of better ways to do what was needed and get a little more detail, so it was a productive and happy day for me.  I will have to leave something running and check in when I get home, but it should be done before the end of the evening, so I can check in remote, see the results and if they are as good as I think they should be and if they are, package them up and send them on so the guy will have stuff to work with  when he starts on Monday.

I think I've had enough fun.  I have added back my ADD meds and while they are working well to keep me focused, I tend not to notice that I should eat for too long, so I have to work on that again and get it intothe routine.

I have been having fun with the Google calendar, and wonder just how long it will take to convince my wife to use it....

I've had enough fun - I should have left work more than an hour ago, so I am going now.

Have fun, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.