Monday, September 9, 2013

Leo thomas Gladnick, RIP

Tomorrow, there will be a celebration of the life of Leo Thomas Gladnick, in a church near Hatboro, Pennsylvania, a town I am virtually certain nobody has ever heard of who hasn't lived either there or in Horsham Township.

Uncle Leo, as we knew him during his off-duty hours, was a teacher in the schools there. I first met him as a 9th grade Biology teacher who was afflicted with me as a student. To say he was a teacher is really not sufficient, because he did more than talk about Biology to a bunch of bored 9th-graders - he actually mad the subject come alive and be interesting, fascinating even.  I do not recall ever seeing him truly angry, although I know we students tried him regularly and seriously - he put up with more than most, and managed to turn adversity into learning and understanding far more often that we as students had any right to suspect.

He also sponsored the various AV club and Photo club efforts, rode herd on the geeks (although I think we called them something else in those bygone days) and was an informal counselor, father confessor, and all things needed to any number of students over the years.

Over time, he became a department head, vice-principal and principal, and in his final year of teaching was principal of a brand new, just opened school.

Hatboro has not been my home since leaving to go to Germany with the Air Force Security Service in 1963 - but after returning from Europe I visited Hatboro many times, and made it a point to stop in at the school and visit with the administrators,, who in later years always included Mr. Gladnick. I enjoyed visiting with him, catching up on what was going on, and I am convinced he enjoyed the visits from the students who would come back to chat - it seems he always had time for a visit with me and several others, and was always welcoming.  If nothing else, I tried to make Hatboro a stop on a motorcycle ride at least once a year, riding by where I had lived, the homes of long-departed friends, and businesses that I knew, some of which are still there - but my favorite part after visiting some friends from those days was dropping by the school to see Mr. Gladnick.

He was a kind man, a gentle man, an excellent teacher, and a friend, and I for one find the world a poorer place for his passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.