Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Jamie is in the wind for Thanksgiving

Our oldest child, son James (Jamie to everyone who knows him) left LA this morning for New Zealand for a couple of weeks and then Australia for an indeterminate period.

He drove to the west coast, sold his car there yesterday, and I guess all is well. He kept his PICASA page well loaded with photos as he traveled cross-country, including some from Chicago, where he'd never been before.  If you are curious, his cross-country travel pix can be found at http://picasaweb.google.com/ijam357 and some are really outstanding.  He got involved with digital photography, bought some good expensive Nikon gear and learned to use it - and these are some of the results.  He says he'll keep the pictures coming as he arrives various places, and we are hoping he remembers.  I have some from his previous trip that I'll make available as soon as I get a round tuit.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and for us it will be the smallest gathering in years.  I don't know of anyone outside the immediate family that will join us, and usually we have someone from outside the family to supply a  little balance.  There'll be plenty of food - I just talked to Phyllis, who was out picking up the bird.  She thought she was lots, but is just unfamiliar with the principle that states that the trip up always seems either much longer or much shorter than the trip back - even if you just reverse course.  But she got home, now all that needs done is about a day and a half of cooking various things.  I'm glad to have taken Friday off....

There's plenty for which we are thankful this year.  Our kids are all well and healthy and still with us, likewise our grandkids.  For too many people, this is not so.  Phyllis's and my parents have died, but at least not in great distress - so we're orphans, I guess, but there is still other family scattered around the nation.  I can still work, and still want to work, so that's a Good Thing, and Phyllis continues to direct choirs and teach, and shows few signs of wishing to hang it up.  We don't have a whole lot of time, but we do live.  We have our health, mostly, and have no truly crippling physical stuff with which to contend.

Hmm.  I guess I have to get to work on the Christmas Letter - maybe we'll actually get it sent this year.  I could stand to lose more weight - it's a constant batle for me, and some months I do better than others - but right now it doesn't pose the threat to my well-being that it did before I had the surgery.  Another thing for which to be thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving to all out there, whether you read this or not.  We've been blest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.