Friday, November 14, 2008

Jamie left

Our kids are our kids - we just have to love them. Our oldest, James (Jamie since he could talk) just left yesterday for the west coast, then New Zealand, then Australia and after that who knows.

We knew he was going sometime this week, but didn't know he had gone until we got home from work yesterday. He's driving, plans to sell his car on the west coast, and leaves on the 26th on a big airplane.

A couple of years back, he spent a year in New Zealand, and liked it a lot. Phyllis and I have a feeling that if we are to see him again, we'll have to go there, but one is never certain. I'd like to think I had wisdom to impart before he left, and he missed out on it, but really, he's 35 now, so anything I might have said would not have made a big change in his plans or his life.

I had rather hoped some woman would throw a rope around him and tie him down, but he's skinny and flexible, so nobody managed to do that. It's going to be quiet around here without him, but it was quiet before and he came back. He would have been gone some time ago except that his baby sister got married and threatened mayhem if he left before he could be in the wedding, and I guess he just got too comfortable and stayed around for a lot longer than planned.

I might be a little envious - I had wanted to go back to Germany and never did it, but may yet - he's still unencumbered by responsibilities like wife & kids - but he's pretty much on his own as all of his pals have taken up the conventional life and have wives, kids, mortgages and such - although one of them moved to New Zealand to live his life.

There's something subtly seductive about that part of the world - we have family members that had gone there once on vacation and never returned, having found mate and life there. I guess there's still hope for Jamie, but I rather fear he'll end up old and alone for being too picky or something. Of course, I may just be being morose - it is, after all, Friday....

Anyhow, he's off again, and I miss him already. Wonder when we'll see him again....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.