Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thursday, all day long

My motorcycle mas been returned! I went up to the shop that has had it and picked it up today, after paying a reasonable ransom for all the work that needed done. Of course, nothing is ever easy around here.

My son took me up - but the slave cylinder for the clutch in his car went to hell yesterday, so we drove my old Volvo up, and he agreed to bring it back, so I left him with my keys, and went in to pay for the motorcycle, then start it up and ride it home. Someone who does not ride cannot imagine just how good it feels to be back up on two wheels again after being confined to a 4-wheeled cage for more than a week. Today was warm, and although rain was threatened it did not arrive, at least not while I was out & about. Riding home was great until I got home and realized that my house keys are colocated with my car keys - and my car keys were in my car. My car was where my son was - and at that point in time I had no clue where he was, but I did beat him home. I folowed a hunch and looked at several of his friends' homes, but did not find him.

This presented a problem, as I had reason to want to get into the house, so I tried to call him and realized that I did not have his new cell number. But fortunately, my wife was at work, so I rode the motorcycle over there and borrowed her house keys - and by the time I got home my son had arrived and I no longer needed the keys. But Phyllis told me not to bring the keys back to her - she'd get them when she returned, so I now have my keys and her house keys and I am inside the house so I don't need either set.

Just as I was relaxing I got a call from the office followed by an email describing something arcane that is happening, so I got out the laptop, logged in and VPN'ed to the office - and could not find anything, so it looks like I'll be stuck observing for some hours yet tonight.

The person for whom I work is one of those folks that likes to write down what we did when something happened so we can do it again. I prefer to try and figure out what the problem really is - sometimes it isn't what it appears to be.

My favorite reason for this is appendicitis.

Consider - you have a bellyache in a certain place, you go to the doctor, and he takes out your appendix. Problem solved.

A year later, you have what feels like the same pain in the same place. Does he re-remove your appendix?

Folks who think like this can be astonishing hard to educate.

With luck, tomorrow will be a great day. Maybe I'll get to ride tomorrow. Meanwhile I get to sit here with two laptops waiting for the phone to ring or for an email to come to give me some more information so I can chase the problem and fix it.

Well, at least I have this nice big HD TeeVee to help keep me bored.

Happy Thursday, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had one of those days where one comical turn of events follows another. It can be very frustrating days like those. At leat you got your ride back!

    ReplyDelete

Please consider letting me know who you are - at some point I am going to go to a known comment writers only format - and I would like to preload the permissions list.